Thursday, July 31, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing

In my internet browsing I found this article.

http://cleantechnica.com/2008/07/30/largest-cleantech-industry-is%e2%80%a6carbon-credits-at-63-billion/

"Carbon credits were worth a staggering $63 billion in 2007 and $59 billion in the first half of 2008 alone." (Sarah Lozanova)


Carbon credits are a bigger industry than either solar or wind power. There is something wrong with this picture. How can the biggest clean technology not actually be a technology!?

Now I'm for reducing pollution, but I don't know how many times I need to say this. Carbon dioxide is not pollution. To all those who think it is, remember this: when you breath, you make carbon dioxide.

I just don't understand why people would buy carbon credits. Is it because they feel bad about making carbon dioxide? Where does that $63 billion go?

Why are they called carbon credits instead of carbon dioxide credits? If anyone has chunks of carbon just sitting around that they feel bad about, I would be happy to take them off your hand for a small "carbon credit" fee. I'm sure I could find a use for all that coal and diamonds.

Maybe I should make up a problem and charge people money for it. Anyone want to buy some Nitrogen credits? Everyday, you are breathing in and out way more nitrogen than carbon dioxide! If you think the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is alarming, than you should be even more alarmed at the amount of Nitrogen.

No comments: